Thursday, 03 April 2008
There is a little corner market kiddie corner from our house. It´s called a Chino, all of the little markets are called chinos because Asians own them. I imagine most of them are from China, but I doubt all of them are. They sale everything. Fruit, meat (butchered fresh there), veggies, canned things, top ramen, women´s products, just about anything you need, jam packed into this little market. I even asked them to start stocking the brand of formula I use for Ariana so I just have to go across the street for it. The owners are really nice.
Last week I came to the house, before we moved in, with Ariana to wait for the Internet and telephone guy. I was starving because had to leave super early, drop Isaac off at school, then head out here. I went across the street to buy something for breakfast when I find out they don't accept visa, que problema. I started rummaging around in my purse and the car and came up with fifty cents. I was able to buy a small carton of chocolate milk and 2 bananas. At least as long as I don´t have cash I can´t spend any money out here.
Two days ago I was trying to get my vonage phone working. I had to get a hold of tech support so I was IMing Destiny who was talking to tech support and then relaying the instructions to me. We were doing that for a little over an hour when one of their interventions took out my Internet connection (when we changed the IP address). I needed a calling card to call Destiny to continue working with the technician. The Chino has the cards but I didn´t have cash. I grabbed an unopened can of baby formula and ran across the street with Ariana. The China already knows the can is worth $10 since she started stocking it for me. I asked her if she would trade me the can for a couple of calling cards and that I would buy the can back when Isaac got home. “Sure, no problem, no problem”.
So, who needs cash, I found out if I am dying for some M&M´s or a diet coke I can just go trade a can of tuna fish for them. I like this system.
I may start trading English classes or tutoring for housekeeping. I already have a few takers.
Thursday, April 3, 2008
Who Needs Cash or Credit Cards?
Posted by Katie at 7:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Great plan Katie, spoken like a true Panamanian. I'd much rather have M & M's than tuna fish! Thanks for the blog, we'lllook forward to reading about your adventures. Hopefully no more electrocuted chicken stories at the new house!!!!
Post a Comment