Thursday, April 3, 2008

Religious Stew

jueves, 03 de abril de 2008

So I have an appreciation for what Joseph Smith was surrounded by, and I know this is only a fraction of it. Our neighborhood is full of spirit. Most of my neighbors are Catholic, of course, because most of Central and South America is Catholic. But there is also an Evangelical church somewhere down the street. They meet almost every night to sing and chant and pray. The pastor wears a microphone, and it is really loud. He sings terribly and shouts the prayers. When they pray, he says one main payer but at the same time everyone else is shouting/chanting individual prayers. It sounds pretty chaotic, but it is a big hit in the neighborhood.

And of course the Jehovah´s Witnesses. They caught me the day I was moving in and we talked a bit and I told them I would read their pamphlet. It is on crime and overcoming it. But after being a proselyting missionary I know how hard it to approach and talk to people. So I was friendly and courteous and today they came back with reinforcements. They left me a book this time. Last time it was Panamanians, this time they brought a woman from England with them, she said it is better to talk about the gospel in your own language...She´s coming back next Wednesday to see what I thought of my reading assignment. LOL.- I told her I was Mormon and that I also served a mission in Panama. So I hope I am not getting their hopes up...

2 comments:

Katie said...

I have to correct myself. The holy rollers in the back of our house are not EVangelists, they are called MMI (no idea) and the women can´t wear pants or cut their hair. I´m not sure what religion it is. The Evangelists meet down the street next door to the seventh day Adventist. I am still taking lessons from the JW´s. lol

Anonymous said...

People should read this.