Thursday, April 24, 2008

All About Ariana





jueves, 24 de abril de 2008 (She´ll be 4 months old tomorrow, shes getting immunizations as a gift – pobrecita)

So, do you think that you can really tell something about your child´s personality as young as 4 months old? Or are most babies the same at that age? If you can, then I think we have a beautiful, smiley, happy, tempermental, high-maintanaince child that I am crazy about.

I noticed I write alot about random things and not much about Ariana, which is the main reason I started blogging. But when I think about all the little things that tickle and amaze me, I feel silly writing about them becuase anyone else who is a parent has already seen or heard it a hundred times. But I have to remind myself that this blog is also a journal and scrapbook for her, so it is important for her to hear about her own progress. I am also aware that my entries are a little longer than the average blog entry, but again, I´m journaling. So all the seasoned parents or bored non-parents can skip over this stuff if you want, I won´t know. :)

A few days ago I gave Ariana a bath, she now not only tolerates cold baths but loves them – she smiles as she gasps and grunts through it. We actually bathe her two or three times a day, everytime she seems anxious and we are not sure why, I think the heat bugs her. I had pulled her towel off of the clothes line and then wrapped her in it after her bath, like I do everyday. Well a few minutes later she started screaming, a scream of pain that I have only hear once or twice before. I picked her up, still wrapped in her towel and tried to comfort her as I am trying to figure out how she got hurt. Then I start getting bitten by ants. I put her down on the bed, open up her towel and saw that it was full of these little ants called candelia. They are tiny but their bites hurt so bad and she had little bites all over her chest and tummy, poor thing. The same thing happened to Isaac´s nephew last month, where there were ants in his towel. He´s 21 but he cried about it too, lol, it´s painful. So I threw her towel off and brushed off her body and the bed, stuck her back in the cold water to take away the sting, then had to hold her the rest of the day because she was a little tempermental, but I really can´t blame her. The good thing about these little ant bites is that even though they hurt like a ... the hurt only lasts about 15-20 minutes. It is not bothersome for days like mosquito bites.

She rolls over on her own now. It´s funny though, rolling from her stomach to her back always surprises her, like it was an accident. She always leans over to roll, but I think it is still a shock to her everytime she ends up on her back. Then EVERYTIME I put her on her back, she immediately rolls over onto her stomach (I just hate it when she´s full and it makes her puke). But what makes me laugh is that when she rolls over, there is always one arm kind of stuck under her body and she gets SO mad because she can´t get it out. The first few days (she has only been rolling over for four or five days now) I would pull her arm out for her. Yesterday I was in the kitchen when she rolled over and I heard her get mad about it, but then she calmed down. She figured out how to get it out. So I watched her a few times today and she got mad everytime she rolled but 3 out of 5 times she was able to pull her arm out after a minute. We are making progress.

I don´t think I´ll be able to leave her on the bed much longer now that she is rolling. That is the only place she´ll let me put her down longer than 5 minutes – but not much longer. So I bought the little foam alphabet floor things. She is fascinated by the contrasting colors – from a distance – but she is still not very keen on the idea of being left on it. (Even though I bought her a bunch of toys, that she is too young to play with, to keep her company.) Poco a poco.

3 comments:

Cherish said...

Are those eyelashes for real? They are incredible! She is so beautiful. ok so I would have been flipping out about the ants!

Chelsea said...

Katie, those ants OMG!!!! Wow what a different world- I'm sure younever thought you'd be back in Panama starting your family. The smiles and the satisfaction you get as a parent will outweigh all the yucky stuff you are enduring. And I'm with Cherish- her eyelashes are GORGEOUS!

Janna Morrell said...

Hey.. I even know what Poco a poco means! (little by little, right?)

I LOVE to read about Ariana! I miss her so much.