Friday, July 4, 2008

Yanguez update

We are now officially land owners in Panama. The title took about three weeks to get and now we are working on building permits, hopefully we can start building a house pronto.

I am in the young women´s presidency at church and Isaac is a sub in the Elder´s Quorum Presidency (the actual counselors are currently inactive, but they don´t want to release them hoping that obligation will help them come back), Isaac has also just been called to be a Sunday school teacher. They´ve also called me as choir director, and anyone who knows me very well knows how funny that is. But I know the tunes to most of the songs, so that qualifies me. We had our first preformance 2 weeks ago, after only three weeks of practice. Not bad, but not great.

Isaac is almost finished with his first semester in the University of Panama Nursing Program. He says he would rather be studying in Utah though. He is doing well and is moving forward.

A week and a half ago someone dropped off a little puppy on our porch at 4 am. Since we sleep in the livingroom we heard her yelping right away. She was really little and all wet and shaking. Isaac gave her some warm milk and put her back in the laundry room. The next morning we noticed she had thrown up the milk and had diarrhea. We kept trying to give her milk, but over the next day and a half she got really weak and the diarrhea was getting worse. Isaac took her to the vet and they said she had Parvovirus, fleas and ticks. They gave her a couple of shots for the virus and a Gatorade type drink to try to rehydrate her. They told us that 80% of puppies with parvovirus don´t make it. Isaac helped her with the drink every four hours and pulled about 30 ticks out of her ears, belly, paws, etc. (The ticks here, called agarapatas, are huge and nasty. They are big pulsating bags of blood that can get as big as my thumb nail when they are full. Gross.) She seemed to be recovering, a few days after the shot; she was walking around, yapping a bit again and even tried to climb the big steps out of the laundry room. Then the following days she started getting weak again, until she couldn´t even walk the day Isaac took her back for her follow up shot. They gave him some stronger vitamins and some other things to nurse her with, saying that the virus will sometimes attack the heart or liver after the GI tract. She died that evening. It was really hard to see her suffer. We weren´t even planning on keeping her, but we wanted to help her live. Sad.






I am including a picture of an ant that was in season for about 2 weeks. Destiny was telling me about the huge ants in the new Indiana Jones movie. I told her we have them just as big here, but with wings. If you had your car parked under a light at night, hundreds would get stuck to the moisture of the roof. It was kinda creepy. I took the picture of it next to a juice bottle so you can relate the size a little better.

CONGRATULATIONS HEIDI! Heidi, yep, the youngest Morrell from the Paul and MaryAnne clan, just had a baby boy on June 27th. His name is Elyn Heston Brown. Way to go little sis!

2 comments:

Katie said...

So our car was broken into last night AS I WAS BLOGGING. Isaac had already gone to bed and I thought I heard someone walking outside the window. The car is parked right outside of the livingroom window. I listened for a minuted and I heard the door open. I called for Isaac three times - in the same room - but he was so tired he didn´t wake up. I waited and listened a minute longer and didn´t hear anything else. I didn´t want to wake Isaac up if I was just being paranoid. This morning I told Isaac what I thought I heard and when he went out to the car the window was broken - didn´t hear that one - and they had ripped the plastic from around the radio, but didn´t take the radio. I think they heard me calling for Isaac and stopped. They had opened all of the compartments and scattered the papers and took my CD´s (Arg). I need to remeber to follow my Dad´s advice and just leave the doors unlocked so they won´t break the windows. If they want to get in, they´ll get in. Dumb robbers.

Tara said...

Oh man I hate that! People are such jerks. I am sorry about your cd's. Those are hard to replace!

Anyway I'm also sorry about that cute little puppy - how sad! and YIKES with the size of that freakin ant!